Follow the Yellow Brick Road National Update as of April 13, 2021
Spring has sprung and the vaccinations are well underway with the hope for getting things back to “normal” by July. In this update, I’d like to share more details about the activities we have planned to offer you during your visit to Kansas.
Before doing that, a quick update on registration as of April 14th; we have 323 cars registered, including 48 Mustang II’s registered for Mustang II Reunion VI, which is just 3 cars from the largest gathering of Mustang II’s at a Mustang II Reunion and the first at an MCA National Show!
Now here is a brief update of our activities as they are scheduled.
- Classification and Registration: Both of these activities will run from 8 am to 5 pm on Friday and 8 to 10 am Saturday of the show weekend.
- Autocross: Will be held at the Metropolitan Community College Precision Driving Center in Independence, MO or approximately a 40-minute drive from the Overland Park Convention Center on Friday and Saturday of the show. This facility is used by local law enforcement for evasive driving training and the regional SCCA for performance driving events. We have space for 40 participants each day, allowing each 4 runs. You may sign up for one or both days. We recommend signing up for Friday judging and autocross Saturday, if you are planning to have your car judged. In addition, we are planning to have ride-a-longs from 2 to 4 pm each day.
- Mustang II Reunion VI: This will be a show within our national show. It will feature some of the truly outstanding Mustang II’s in the country! Mustang II car owners and enthusiast’s will be able to “double dip” by enjoying activities exclusive for Mustang II Reunion VI as well as being able to sign up and participate in the Follow the Yellow Brick Road National Show activities. The Reunion will also feature the infamous John Clor, Robert Kennedy author of Adapt or Die: The Mustang II Story, and the traditional Mustang II reunion pizza party Saturday evening. Even Steve Prewitt, MCA President, will be bringing his own Mustang II to the reunion!
- Welcome Reception: Will be held at the Overland Park Convention Center from 6 to 8 pm. Everyone interested in enjoying the food must purchase your ticket(s) on MotoSho prior to online registration closing. The reception will be open to others who just want to join the fun and beverages for the cash bar. Outdoor games will be available on the patio.
- Ford Versus Ferrari: We plan to show this cool movie, featuring Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles, Friday after the Welcome Reception at 8 pm in the of comfort of the air-conditioned Ballroom. The movie is open to everyone, so even if you’ve seen it, come and enjoy it with a bunch of fellow Ford enthusiast! Please wear your favorite Ford and Shelby apparel to cheer on Ford. Oh, and you may want to pay attention to the details as there may be a pop quiz at the Sunday morning Breakfast?
- Poker Run: Once the show field closes on Saturday at 5 pm, it’s time to saddle up your pony and get ready to ride. Beginning at 5:30 pm participants will be able to head out on a cruise that will feature several iconic tourist attractions. The Poker Run will begin and end at the Overland Park Convention Center. Along the route, you will collect stamps on a card that will allow you to draw cards to determine your poker hand. Please keep in mind, this is NOT a race or timed event! This is an opportunity to get out and see the KC area with stops on both sides of the state line along the way. We will also include a list of places where you may want to stop and enjoy dinner. All folks wanting to draw their winning hand will need to return no later than 8:30 pm.
- Sunday Breakfast: Will be held in the Overland Park Convention Center Ballroom from 8:30 to 10 am. Everyone interested in enjoying the food must purchase your ticket(s) on MotoSho prior to online registration closing. All those who purchase tickets for the breakfast will also have preferred table seating for the Keynote speaker at 10 am and the Awards Ceremony beginning at 10:30 am. We have invited Aaron Shelby, Board Member of Carroll Shelby International, Inc, and grandson of Carroll Shelby, and very pleased to say he has accepted our invitation to speak. The keynote will be open to everyone planning to attend the Awards Ceremony and will provide seating behind the breakfast table seating. Overflow seating will be provided, if necessary.
- Awards Ceremony: Will be held in the Ballroom and overflow seating will be provided as necessary. Our goal is to begin the ceremony on time and complete handling all awards in an efficient and timely manner, allowing folks to be on the road home early Sunday afternoon. Please note the need for the amount of overflow seating will depend on CDC social distancing guidelines. It is our hope that by the time July arrives, the CDC will have reduced or eliminated social distance requirements to the point we can have everyone seated in the Ballroom.
- Online Auction: The online auction goes “live” on National Mustang Day. Check it out using this link https://mcgkc.cbo.io/. This will allow everyone to get an early look or even bid on items! Additional items will be added between the time it opens and the national show, so check in often! The online auction will be open April 17, 2021 through Saturday, July 24th at 3 pm CDT. The ClickBid online platform allows for anyone to bid on items, not just those attending the national show, and receive text updates and messaging during the weekend of the national show. Bid generously and often knowing that 100% of the proceeds of the silent auction will go to our local children’s charities.
NOTE: It is important to know that you must be present to claim your winning bid item on Saturday, April 24th, between 3:30 pm and 5:00 pm CDT OR contact the local club representative before 5 pm CDT to arrange payment for shipping your winning bid item(s) to directly to you.
So, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share more about what our national show committee is planning for you visit to Overland Park July 23-25, 2021. Please remember you can revisit MotoSho at any time and add and pay for activities to your show experiences.
After being locked down and social distanced for more than a year, we thank everyone for your confidence in the Mustang Club of Greater Kansas City to host another MCA National Show. We sincerely appreciate your registration and participation in our online auction, which will support our two outstanding local children’s charities, Children’s Mercy Kansas City and The Children’s Place.
So, be safe and get ready to Follow the Yellow Brick Road and remember, “It’s not where you go, but who you meet along the way.”
Off to see the Wizard…Ed Mardiat, Show Chairperson