Update as of August 17, 2020
The Follow the Yellow Brick Road national show committee will meet in person at Old Shawnee Pizza, August 19 at 6:30 pm. Sub-committee chairs continue to plan for our return to the Overland Park Convention Center on July 23-25, 2021. I thought with everyone staying in, we would share a little more about some of the activities we are planning.
First of all, we have two outstanding children charities; nationally ranked Children’s Mercy Hospital https://www.childrensmercy.org/, who is returning from our 2017 MCA Grand National and we have added The Children’s Place https://www.childrensplacekc.org for the 2021 MCA National Show. Both are impressive children charities and have amazing stories how they help children throughout the Midwest region. We also think our Wizard of Oz theme fits well with our children charities and may even refer to them as our “Munchkin’s”. Please take a moment to check out both not-for-profit organizations websites. 100% of net proceeds with be divided equally between the two charities.
BIG NEWS! Our show will be hosting the sixth-annual Mustang II Reunion, sponsored by Ford Performance. This will be the first time the Mustang II Reunion has been included as part of an MCA National Show! For 2021, “Mustang II Reunion VI” will be marking the 45th Anniversary of the Mustang II Stallion (1976-only) model, but owners of ALL 1974-78 Mustang II are invited to attend this unique gathering. All Mustang II’s registered for the show field will get reserved group parking, special Ford Performance awards, a FREE limited-edition commemorative Reunion VI window cling, a Reunion-exclusive Ford Performance Certificate of Appreciation, and admission to the Reunion VI Pizza Party, featuring a history presentation with special guest speakers, including Ford Performance Communications Manager John Clor. The Ford Performance Club Connect Meet & Greet tent will be co-located with the Mustang II Reunion area, so all show attendees are invited to stop by for the FREE Mustang Poster giveaway and to check out the variety of second-generation Mustangs on display.
We are planning for a 400-car field, with 130 indoor spaces and 270 outdoor spaces available. This time we are planning some opportunities for folks to get out and drive. We are also planning to include several types of registrations; such as Mustang Registries (red, yellow, white, “Gotta Have It Green”, Millennial, etc.), and celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the 1971 Mustang. Who knows, we may even have a Mach E, GT500, or Mach I register in President Choice!
We have contracted with two top-rated hotels as our host hotels: Sheraton Overland Park at the Convention Center and the Marriott Kansas City Overland Park. The Sheraton is located immediately adjacent to the indoor and outdoor show fields. While the Marriott will have completed a major renovation and will also offer on-site parking for up to 40 trailers. We will be utilizing an on-line “housing” platform which offers a common registration website for both properties, and if necessary, additional hotels in close proximity to the convention center. To reserve your room and get the discounted rates, please use this following link https://mmxreservations.com/fer/visitoverlandpark?pageCode=MCA2021OP . We encourage folks to make reservations early as there will be a national soccer tournament being held in Overland Park in July 2021 with dates overlapping our MCA National Show weekend.
Our show committee has the goal of improving upon what our club did as host of the MCA 2017 Grand National. Several ideas have been shared by those who attended, as well as a few who have attended other MCA national shows. So, here is a preview of things in the early planning and we are hoping to include:
- On-line auction will go live 3 months prior to the actual show and allow on-site as well as off-site bidders for a wide array of interesting items. Auction will close on Saturday with folks being able to take home the items for which they are the winning bidder. Off-site bidders will be expected to pay for shipping if they want the host club to ship them items if they are unable to pick up during the show.
- On-site professional car detailer – Preregistration on MotoSho available for 5 details on Thursday (for early arrivals), Friday and Saturday of the show. Cars will be detailed prior to being parked on the show field. A limited number of on show field details will be available on Friday and Saturday.
- Presentation of colors honoring veterans and first responders, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Autocross – performance driving course, sign up in advance in MotoSho, Friday and Saturday only, limited to 40 cars
- Welcome reception – Heavy hors d oeuvres with 2 drink coupons provided with each ticket, games, cash bar, video entertainment
- Poker Run, Saturday after the show field closes, get out and cruise local attractions in two states.
- On-site concert Saturday evening and Cowboy Church Sunday morning provided by CMA Award winner Tommy Brandt https://www.tommybrandt.org
- Off-site entertainment options for activities Saturday evening
- Breakfast Sunday morning includes full entree with each ticket includes preferred seating for the Awards Ceremony
- Awards Ceremony to include national speakers with a goal of be completed by no later than 2 pm.
We still have lots of details to work out over the next several months.
A little more about the autocross. I have visited briefly with MCA and gotten a positive response for including this driving activity. We will ask MCA to conduct driver’s meetings and provide oversight and insurance. We are excited to work with the MidAmerica Cobra Club which has experience running an autocross at the Metropolitan Community College performance driving course. This is the same course used by local law enforcement for training. It is safe, well laid out, will allow participants 3 or 4 runs in the late morning early afternoon, and still have time to return to the show field on Friday afternoon, in time to detail your car and be judged on Saturday.
Trailer parking will be located close to the show field and will accommodate all of the trailers not staying at the Marriott Hotel and using their trailer parking option. We will require that cars must be unloaded at the trailer parking site and driven to the show field. The only trailers to be allowed to unload on-site are those that cannot be driven, which in that case, will be assigned an unloading time.
Finally, after 2020, and the unknown of how things will be in July 2021, we are including risk mitigation and extensive safety measures to make sure our MCA National Show will be the safest. Our venue, the Overland Park Convention Center recently achieved certification from the Global BioRisk Advisory Council (GBAC) for making their venues one of the first to achieve this rating https://opconventioncenter.com/gbac-star-facility/. Both hotels have also implemented corporate safety measures to ensure their guests are safe for the duration of their stay as well. Finally, our club has included as part of our Security and Safety subcommittee a person who has experience working in the healthcare industry and with the local city and country authorities.
We look forward to seeing you all again in Overland Park, KS, July 23-25, 2021. Just Follow the Yellow Brick Road and remember “It’s not where you go, but who you meet along the way!
Ed Mardiat, Show Chairperson
MCA 2021 National Show – Overland Park
Mustang Club of Greater Kansas City, Inc.